Thanks Val -
I agree that I would need to understand more about the study to conclude that the "impossible problem" study supports the idea that there are differences in persistence versus differences in other factors - like self-assertiveness.

But I do think that a few ideas are very worthy of consideration here... the one that I have been "struggling" with lately is, "what do I tell my child about her own abilities" and how might that explanation shape her future learning? Last week dd7 came home from school and asked where she got her ability from - mom or dad? She both assumed she had special ability and she assumed it was genetic. She has been asking me a lot of these types of questions lately so I am assuming it might be the hot topic on the playground. "You get your ability from your dad" vs. "you know so much because you love to read and you read a lot more than other kids" are two very different answers - both of them with quite a bit of truth to them. This is further complicated by the fact that I have one kid who is very typical in her ability...so I almost want to downplay the genetic part and emphasize the hard work and practice part for all.

I also like the idea (wearing my teacher hat now) of teaching students how to struggle - to reward struggle, to show how a student might struggle and then master a concept. I admit, that when I ask a question or have someone come to the front of the class I will call on the student that I think knows the correct answer... and, if a student gets it wrong, I fairly quickly call on another student instead of forcing someone to explain their thinking until they arrive at the right answer. I might re-think that. There is such value in that.

As for the idea that a very smart kid might not have enough opportunities to struggle - I have not found that. Even if school is a breeze, there are other struggles - with "managing emotions" as I like to call it in my house or with running (a particular challenge for my oldest). It might be helpful to conceptualize those things as opportunities to learn how to struggle.