DS4 will enter K at DD's school next year. We need to ask for a special variance to enroll him there as it is not his zoned school, but they should grant it, as they say they will do this for younger sibs of children in the gifted magnet (magnet starts in grade 2). The school has some K/1 classrooms available which will allow kids academic breathing room. I have also been advised to request a particular teacher who "gets" advanced kids. I have never done that before, but in this case I am willing to be pushy. However, I know schools hear from many parents who say their kids are advanced and that without seeing the child, they hear some of this as hot air. I wonder if anyone has ever shot a SHORT video of their child reading and doing math to show the school to use to advocate for a certain K placement, or if this sounds like a nutty, ill-advised idea? Of course, I realize we could also have him tested, but he's only 4 and I'd rather not spend the considerable sum. This all needs to be taken care of this winter (IIRC, before January).

ETA: I'm 95% certain that the principal has no idea who my older child is, so there is no familiarity there, though of course she could look up her records (DD has had straight As on every report card).

Last edited by ultramarina; 11/12/12 07:26 AM.