We live in north county san diego. I would love to talk to some local families about which educational paths and / or schools that work for your family. I loved our school but it has gone through some changes and it has left me at a loss. The kids are currently in flexible grouping dd (who turns 8 at the end of month) is in 3rd and goes to 4th for language arts (and it has been recommended he be advanced to 4th fulltime) and my ds is in 5th and goes to 6th or language arts. When I met with our local public school, the attitude was that they don't need to do anything extra for gifted kids and that no one at their school has ever complained of being bored! Plus, due to their ages the school was recommending putting them in 2nd and 4th. so starting to look at alternatives.
Ugh so frustrating. I would love to talk to local families in the area to see what schools and solutions you have come up with. We have also been working with a tutor for enrichment. She is very well versed in gifted curriculum and teaches a master's in ed class for gifted certification. I am looking to putting together a gifted learning group run by the teacher. Basically a teacher led group that would focus on one topic for several weeks at a time. For example, political unit of of study. Kids would put math, language arts, history, debate, technology all under the basic theme. Cross disciplinary so to speak. They would have independent studies as well. We did some of this over the summer and the kids ate it up! We did ancient greece, read the odyssey, studied mythology and the olympics, latin words and culminating with a greek myth they wrote and performed as a play. They couldn't get enough. I would love to get a group together to do something like this. The tutor is on board! I think it would so great to get a group together of like minds for exciting learning projects and intellectual discussions if anyone in the area has any interest, please please please let's talk and try to make it work!
agjarrell@sbcglobal.net