So, next Tuesday 12/12 is our meeting with the two first grade teachers. Son is bored with the math and has already told his teacher "this math is way too easy." His reading seems to be moving along at school, and I don't have much issue with that. Anxious to find out how the teacher sees his ability, though, as he still doesn't seem to be challenged much by reading.

My concern is math. I want to ask them to test him using some of the Saxon program assessment pages to see just where he is in terms of the curriculum. Then I have a couple of possible solutions. 1)Try second grade math class. Maybe do a week or two as a trial and see how he does. If he does well, then move him into 2nd grade after winter break. OR 2)use ALEKS in the classroom and let him do the 1st grade group activity then work on ALEKS while the other kids do the Saxon stuff. OR 3)Give him time with the resource teacher to do math at his level, at his speed. Could be using the ALEKS program or doing the Saxon curriculum but modified to eliminate much of the repetition that he just doesn't need.

What do you think? Sound like reasonable ideas? I really want to impress upon them that the goal is to have him do math at his level, not just add to what he is doing already and keep him doing the "way too easy" stuff that is making him crazy!