Arg. Lately, DS has started butting in when I am working with DD on her homework. I will ask her a question that I want her to think about and DS butts in with the answer. He has even said things like--"Well, it's not hard...I know it and I'm only in first grade. Why doesn't DD know it?" I think he is trying to be helpful but there is some sibling competitive stuff going on there, too.

Of course I have told him that it's rude and unacceptable to butt in. That it is her work and not his and he should be doing his own homework, etc. The larger problem is that I see him catching up to her in many areas, including areas that are her passions, like art. She is 3 1/2 years older.

How do I tone DS down without sending him the message that he should keep his talents to himself? How do make sure that DD feels free to pursue her passions and talents even if he begins to outshine her? Also, I'm not quite sure how to answer his question, "Why doesn't DD know x when I already know it?" which I think is an honest question on his part. He is trying to figure out where he fits and he is seeing that he doesn't quite fit into the regular scheme of things. He has also asked similar questions about his best friend, B, who is two weeks older than DS. B is still in preschool, however.

Have any of you been through this with your kids?