So, I know I've posted a bunch about my ds5 in kindergarten. We have a parent, teacher, student conference Thursday morning per teacher's request, and honestly I'm at a loss. My ds is bored in school and not challenged. Some behavior problems, but besides 1 incident not too bad. His complaints about school are down to 2-3x/ week. I think he may be accepting things. He begs to learn with me at home- which I do.
I'm not quite sure what to say to his teacher. For example, in math today, ds was asked to do a packet of pages with objects to color on each page. He was supposed to count the object and fill the number in the blank of the sentence (there is 1 red apple.), then color the picture and rewrite the sentence. Really? I keep asking the same questions about harder work, but the teacher says ds is working on writing a sentence (capital, all the words, and punctuation). Ok, but can he do this with harder material?
I plan to ask if he can start taking AR tests after he reads a book. But other than that I'm not sure what to say. I think his teacherthinks things are fine even though she admits he knows the information. I spoke last week to ds preschool who also lives in the same school district and has kids about what she thought. The one thing she repeated in the conversation is ask how the teacher uses map scoring to differentiate his learning with specifics. I think it sounds like a good question, but I'm not sure how to ask it without offending the teacher. Also, I am wondering if I need to meet with the principal to discuss what to do with/ for ds. I don't know what else to ask for. I feel like I'm talking to the wall when I talk to the teacher. I certainly don't want to make enemies, but I want my ds to like school. Part of me is feeling like I should give up for this year, continue afterschooling, and hope for a better year next year. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.