FWIW, my ds' SCAT scores on verbal did roughly match his overall IQ. But that's one random data point out of thousands of unkowns, and as the others have pointed out, SCAT tests far less than the WISC etc.

Why are you nervous to test? Is there some reason to be worried that her WISC scores wouldn't match? I look at testing as collecting data, and that's that. The data can be useful to get into a program that your child would benefit from, and it can be useful to understand relative strengths & weaknesses, learning styles, etc. It *isn't* useful if there is some kind of worry of your own tied into the testing - ie, this is just an off-the-cuff example, doesn't have anything to do with you! - if you are convinced your dd is a DYS level kid, then find out he's really a 90th percentile IQ kid. The *only* thing that really means is she doesn't qualify for DYS. He will still be the same kid, who is going to exhibit the same unique learning style/needs/etc that she has in the past, and she still needs an individualized education and a caring parent as an advocate etc. just as much as he would if he qualified for DYS.

And last question to consider: why do you want to test? As I mentioned, testing has been helpful for my kids to understand their strengths and weaknesses, but they are also kids who are 2e and have had challenges in learning. It's info that would be fun and interesting and useful to have even if they hadn't had those challenges, but on the flip side, I think I could have figured out much of their learning style and strengths and weaknesses simply from working with them.

It *has* been helpful to have their WISC scores when advocating for acceleration at school and for entry into g/t programs.

And.. just curious.. what type of testing did she have to qualify for CTY (so that she was eligibile to take the SCAT)? Or was she young enough to qualify based on a parent recommendation without testing?

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 10/30/12 10:59 AM.