Thanks! I knew someone would have info but sure didn't expect a direct quote from the manual! wink

Dottie: this what I recalled, that the manual really doesn't say what level to use compared to the age level of the child. But it certainly does matter how far ahead you test, since the scale specifically awards higher points (supporting grade acceleration) to higher scores. So a school could certainly manipulate numbers and try to hold a child back by testing too high, not considering the actual level of the test, couldn't they?

I agree that the 4th grade level was perfect for MrWiggly. This question was actually for someone on another board who is dealing with a school where the psychologist and social worker "administered" the IAS and then presented the info to the parents as a done deal and NOT supporting a grade skip.

I thought it makes sense to just use the next year's test, to see how the child would compare to the class going into the same grade you are planning to have the accelerated child go in to. So that a 3rd grader who tests in the top percentiles of a 4th grade test would certainly be appropriate academically to skip 4th and enter 5th. I suppose you could argue that a 3rd grader who tests in the top percentiles on a 6th grade test is ready to enter 7th grade (or at least do 7th grade level work academically). Isn't that the general logic of using above level testing??