Thanks everyone- I've been busy trying to read up on what some of the scores meant. Even though the psychologist called me in after the testing to briefly review and explain the initial scores, I still wasn't sure exactly what those scores meant, other than they were quite high. He explained that the full report we will receive in a few weeks will be more in depth and include a review of academic resources/ recommendations.

I wasn't surprised that they were high because it's been obvious since birth that our DS learned things differently (and behaved differently) than both his older brother and other kids. However, while he is a great consumer of individualized instruction and very focused, he is limited by what he receives. He is far less willing to learn a new concept with us at home than with a teacher. And we have left the reading, writing, and math teaching to school unless he specifically asks to learn something. While both my husband and I are college educated and bright, we both found elementary school and public education adequate and challenging. Getting our minds around the idea that our son might be (is?) different than our own experience is a little daunting. To add- my husband is in the military and moving is going to make things even more interesting if our DS's IQ indicates we are just beginning to deal with school issues.

I'm going to look into the David's Young Scholars program. If they provide counseling and services, and our DS qualifies, it can't hurt to apply. Since we had to pay for the private testing, we did not have additional tests done outside the WISC (though he did do a quick reading assessment just to see what grade level he could read at... not including comprehension.) It looks like we would need additional tests to submit and qualify.. I'm hoping maybe the public school might offer those??

Thanks everyone- it's great that this website exists!