Well, we lost a lot of money when we moved back to MA, even though the cost of living is somewhat comparable to NYC. I wouldn't say life is a bowl of cherries now, but it's very likely would have been in the dark about the eg/pg and extent of the giftedness or 2e issues if we hadn't moved.

I understand what you're saying DeHe. I had a neighbor who had a gifted son that went to Anderson. She withdrew him due to the intense competition and asl focus. She then put him in a local charter school only to withdraw him due to a peanut allergy. Now, they're homeschooling him and I know financially it's a big challenge for them.

I also know a friend who sues the NYC Board of Ed each year so her son can attend Parkside. Each year she's got to obtain a lawyer and sue so her son can go to Parkside. This was a kid who was doing long division at 4, but unfortunately has a laundry list of special needs and is unlikely to be in a public school soon. Of course, Parkside ($30,000+/yr) is still cheaper than Gillen Brewer ($50,000+/yr), but still that's a crazy situation. Only in NYC.

Edison-trait kids, divergent thinkers, or 2e kids like my friend's (and son's) are problematic for many school systems. There may be some schools that cater to them, like Parkside, but it's far from the norm and often quite an undertaking to get a slot at these schools. I know there are some children of famous celebrities that attend Parkside; at least they can afford it.

The vast majority of schools still teach in an auditory, sequential, linear manner; that's even the case at gifted schools. They're just not conducive to kids who mutiny with rote, repetition, and worksheets or pg kids who learn in great gulps and rapidly accelerate. Many gifted schools and programs just can't accommodate a DYS child who needs more individualized learning; or at least that's what I've discovered since my son's been in two private gifted schools here in MA. So you do start to find yourself banging your head and at a loss as to what to do.

Of course, the situation makes it difficult on the parents and nearly impossible to find a school where a DYS child can be accommodated unless you're willing to relocate to Reno or somewhere, which isn't always possible or doable as we both know. Even then, I say you might be chasing a pipe dream and magic potion. Not saying that I don't want a magic wand or magic potion some days, but that you can drive yourself silly with chasing a school situation smile.