New here but not new to gifted education. I have a 14 year old who was accelerated. In kindergarten, a very astute teacher recognized Tyler and helped get him on the right track. We moved out of that district, realized the school we moved to wasn't going to serve him, so we enrolled all our children in parochial. They were all served well in that environment.

However, we have moved again. We are back in public school in a new community. My second grader is very bright. He cries when he has to do saxon math homework every night. He cries that the teachers don't know anything and he wants to learn something new. I'd heard that they had an accelerated math program and testing was required to get palcement in the program. The school year is new.

School is only in the first semester and yesterday we had a parent teacher conference. My son tested into the accelerated program but they weren't placing him in it till he can show that he pays more attention in class. The kids in the accelerated program have to be more focused than my son. They know he wants to do harder math so they think this is a good incentive for him... a reward for better behavior..

This is a kid who has never studied for a spelling test and gets 100%. He sits in class bored silly as the rest of the class learns to spell. He is only 7. They KNOW how much he wants to learn and they are going to use the "right" to learn as the incentive for better behavior. HOLY COW.. what do i do? We live in Nebraska and have a few policies in place for identification. Once the kids are identified however, there is nothing in place.

I am still in shock over the stupidity of their behavior strategy.