From the article:

"The prime offender, they say, is the increased emphasis on testing. Success in school today depends not just on the SAT, but on a raft of federal and state standardized ­exams, often starting as early as fourth grade and continuing throughout high school. More than ever, those tests determine where kids go to college—and most kids believe that in an increasingly globalized, competitive world, college, more than ever, determines success. (A weak economy only intensifies the effect.) Carol Dweck is a Stanford psychology professor. Her research shows that when people focus on a score rather than on improvement, they develop a fixed idea of their intellectual abilities. They come to see school not as a place to grow and learn, but as a place to demonstrate their intelligence by means of a number."

I like the explanation that school is a place to "demonstrate their intelligence by means of a number."

This was precisely how I viewed college/law school.

I wasn't there to learn and grow, I was there to prove that I was inherently better than everyone else.

That didn't turn out so well.

I can say that I don't recommend that approach.