I'm lifting these out of another thread so as not to derail it.
Originally Posted by Stacyshoe
He does follow single-step instructions well. I've noticed that he will grab on to one word or concept if I give more complex instructions. If I say, "Go downstairs and get the book that is beside your pencil box." He might come back with the pencil box.
Originally Posted by geofizz
Go get a speech eval. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. By 4, he should be able to understand that slightly more complicated example and execute correctly.
Really? Are you saying this in the context of other advanced abilities, or in general for all kids? Because my DS4 could never in a million years actually follow that instruction. He wouldn't come back with the pencil box or the book, and he'd be lucky to make it down the stairs before being distracted by something else. Is it really an age-appropriate expectation that he could do this?

He turned 4 at the end of May. He's been reading for six months or so, and is generally able to follow one-step instructions when we're right there with him, but telling him to go somewhere else and do something, then come back, seems like a nonstarter. He also really struggles with spatial relationships - doesn't seem to know what to do with directions like "look under the couch" or "look behind the curtain." We know that he has sensory processing issues (as does DD8) - is this part of that, or should we be looking for something else?