Originally Posted by Old Dad
I'm afraid the OP is stating just the start of attempted punishments / behavioral modifications that make little or no sense. The one common practice I always have to roll my eyes at are the "Zero tolerance policy" That's a school's way of needing to make judgment calls based on individual circumstances.

This is what happens when school administration does't wish to take the responsibility of making human judgment calls and instead relies on "Policy"

Tangenting off with you : our local school district has a zero tolerance policy on "risk of harm" which requires a student be screened for possible hospitalization and only returned to school with a signed letter from a professional that they are no longer a risk of harm to themselves or others.

I cannot tell you how many tines I have screened 5-7 year olds who, whilst playing on the playground, made some "ominous" threat such as "I'm going to blow you up with my bomb." Despite the fact each school has a social worker or counselor who could decipher what is normal child's play from psychological risk, a child is suspended until screened.

Ridiculous.