Hi all--

I'm looking for math resources for my 7 year old daughter. She's a very fluent reader (going into 2nd grade, reading at about 5th grade) and absolutely loves science. She's wanted to be a vet or work with animals as long as I can remember, but I keep telling her that she'll need math to go with her science. Problem is, she hates math. She claims it's boring--and it probably is in the way that her first grade did it.

I'd like to give her something to do at home (maybe math games online?) to build up her confidence in math. She's not terrible at it--on the Woodcock Johnson Achievement, her Broad Math was a 126, which put her about a grade level ahead. But her general intellectual ability (IQ) from the WJ Cognitive was 152, so I think she can probably be doing better. Her processing is slow--on the WJ-III, her fluency score was an 89 (below grade level), and on the WJC, her cognitive efficiency was lower too. I think that she's got a mixture of slow processing (she's still adding on her fingers) and boredom that's adding to the dislike of math. I, too, was a verbally gifted kid who hated math, and it wasn't until high school trig and pre-calc that I discovered that math can be really fun. I'd like her to figure that out a little earlier! wink

Any recommendations?

Thanks--
Stacey

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.