Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Even if the goals are/should be similar for all children, why are we assuming that the methods of gaining those milestones must be?

Because uniform goals and uniform methods enable very high quality production methods to be developed and allows potential problems to be effectively addressed.

Look at McDonalds, for an example.

When you eat a a McDonalds in NYC you are eating the *exact same* type of McHeartAttack as you eat in LA.

The public *loves* this uniformity, which is reflected in the earnings from the McDonalds corporate entity.

Think of the problems that are encountered if you start using *different* goals and *different* methods for each McDonalds restaurant. How could you *know* what you were really ordering when you traveled to another area? How could you *know* that the money you were spending would be virtually guaranteed to provide a satisfying sensory and gastronomical experience? You simply wouldn't know!

Do you want to live in that kind of world? Make a picture in your mind? What do you see?

It's a profoundly confusing, chaotic, and deeply unsatisfying world, isn't it?

{laughing} Oh--ohh-- STOP.... grin must-- breathe--

yes, I see.

I guess, then, the question becomes; is the world a better place if McDonald's is the sole (or even "major") arbiter of... er... food?

At what point does differentiation in education become obviously necessary, though? Is it fifth grade? 12th grade? Graduate education?

After all, McDonalds is unlikely to begin offering fine food-and-wine pairings anytime soon, no matter how many assemly-line lattes and salads they can sell in addition to burgers. The world does need wedding receptions and romantic celebration dinners in places with white tablecloths. Well, maybe it doesn't, but you catch my drift.

There is a reason why ordering superb salmon or Dungeness crab is problematic in Omaha, NE. Seems wrong to say that those of us in the Pacific NW ought not have widespread access to them either, though...

Taking JonLaw's post seriously just for a moment, this Dewey-esque set of assumptions is probably not that far off the mark, however. The problem with that view of an 'industrialized' model of education is that children are less like frozen hamburger and more like Dungeness crab, really great hush-puppies, and Carolina BBQ. Regional specialties got that way for a reason, and their uniqueness or narrow availability doesn't devalue them in the least.

Which would people rather drink-- Gallo red? Or a remarkable Willamette Valley Pinot Noir? (Or insert other favorite varietal wine.) Hey, Night Train has great quality control, too... (ick)

I'm actually okay in a world without McDonald's, but I know why many people are not. wink

And in all seriousness, MoN's points are good ones.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.