Having just went through the college applications and merit scholarship application process and being very successful with both I want to caution any parent on a complete focus on GPA in HS. Contrary to popular belief, colleges don't just look at GPA and ACT / SAT test scores anymore when considering an applicant for admissions or for merit scholarships, that's simply not enough these days.

The vast majority of colleges want the complete package. What I mean by that is a well rounded applicant who has taken full advantage of extra curricular activities offered both by their HS and outside of HS. This may often include volunteerism, leadership, sports, music, clubs, etc. My eldest DS didn't have an overly impressive GPA, aprox. a 3.65, however, 38 credit hours of college classes, a well rounded resume of volunteerism, leadership, club activity, and excellent interviewing skills yielded him both a Presidential Scholarship and a Science Scholarship of admirable size. The college saw he challenged himself from an early age and was very active and well rounded, they know that's a strong sign of probable continued success.

I've seen numerous friends of my eldest DS who had a 4.0 GPA or higher that weren't considered for merit scholarships or even admission at some colleges because their GPA and / or good ACT was pretty much all they had to show for their time in HS. I know that may sound odd to some of you, however, it's reality. Colleges want well rounded students these days.

Last edited by Old Dad; 08/14/12 07:58 AM. Reason: Throwing my keyboard in the corner with the other keyboards that can't spell