I have seen many parents post here and ask about a large gap between VCI and PRI on the WISC when one score is strong and the other is stratospheric. Responding posters are quick to reassure that "It's nothing to worry about." I am not worried, per se, but I have found a presentation from a Ph.D. at the Yale Child Study Center in which the presenter says that if there is more than a 23 point difference between the lowest and highest index FSIQ is not interpretable and GAI should be used. Well and good.

She then goes on to say that if there is more than 23 points between VCI and PRI then the variation between the two is too great to summarize ability in a single score. So, what then? There is no accurate way to summarize?

DD8 has huge gaps between her lowest and highest index (55 points) and rather large between VCI and PRI (34 points). Her VCI is exceptionally high. If extended norms had been used the difference between VCI and PRI would be in the 40s.

I am pondering this as a new school year approaches and for the first time I am armed with objective proof that DD needs more from school even than the other "smart" kids in class. What is the best way to summarize a kid like DD to a new teacher who really needs that information? DD already loves to fly under the radar and I want her teacher to realize her potential to hopefully motivate DD to tap it.

I am inclined to show her the IQ bell curve and point to where DD is on that curve as to her verbal abilities. Is this an accurate way to really get convey DD's ability? Other thoughts?