We haven't applied, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd suspect that he may be a watch and see kid: probably HG but maybe or maybe not DYS PG level. I suspect that DYS looks for that 150 IQ point for the younger kids for two reasons: 1) IQ scores are less stable at that young age and 2) very high achievement scores are easier to get when one is very young.

In regard to my second guess, a young child who is reading at all will test very highly on the reading part of a test like the WJ or WIAT, whereas a 10 or 11 y/o, for instance, would need not only to be reading above grade level, but be hugely above grade level to get the same 99.9th or similarly high scores on the same test.

I guess that, in your friend's case, I'd ask myself what I need out of a program like DYS and how much I need it. If s/he is having a terribly hard time finding social peers, is feeling overwhelmed with trying to advocate for the child's needs and needs guidance there, etc., it might be worth applying, but if I were just going to guess, I'd suspect that they might ask for more testing.