We do work hard to maintain a very reading- friendly home. DS has access to MANY books that he has accumulated over time, I myself love to read and model reading behavior regularly, and DH has re-entered college to finish his degree and shares his excitement about learning as well. We had also always read stories together for bedtime and he has been resisting that like crazy recently too. The only reason that I thought of doing the 'reward' system is that similar short term motivators have worked for encouraging specific behaviors in the past. DS looks at it as more of a 'contest' with himself than a bribe, I think. At this point I'm willing to try anything just to get him into doing it again without making it a 'rule' that he can dig in his heels and fight about. If he has a "contest" to work toward then he's making the decision to do it, even if it is for less-than-perfect motivations. I figure if he starts reading again, for whatever reason, that he'll eventually find his own self motivation again too.

Last edited by vwmommy; 07/10/12 02:47 PM.