MurphysMom, thanks your post. It does help me see what other schools are doing to address this issue. Perhaps that is something the school will be willing to consider in the library purchasing or using existing books that are more advanced that match the themes in the reading program for the year.

st pauli girl, I don't who his teacher will be for the next school year. I spoke to his current teacher (that is for the school year that has just ended) and she expressed some exasperation with the program and said I was correct that the beyond level books are not at his level at all. I got the impression that she was not given any flexibility in implementing the program and that she could only do something about it if she was asked to do so by the principal. I agree I would need to have a meeting with the principal and curriculum director however would like to be prepared for the meeting. There is no GT coordinator for the school.

I would like to be able to make some suggestions to them based on what other schools are doing, because they may not even have considered what to do with children that are reading well beyond grade level.