I agree with what you are saying. I think that kids who are prepared to take AP exams in 9th grade probably are more likely to be a select group of students who will excel in 9th, 10th, etc. grades. They will excel on the PSAT. Why not allow them to take those AP tests and exams early?
On the other hand, perhaps many school districts do not have the funding to provide open access to every AP class for every student, regardless of their grade. Maybe they partly restrict AP classes to mainly 11th and 12th graders due to limited funding.
Not that this is an excuse but simply an explanation.
I do plan to have my kids start taking the PSAT in 9th grade simply to get that experience. I think I will have them take the SCAT test yearly until 7th grade (even though my older one qualified on both parts; the younger one is too young) and then the SAT simply to get more experience taking standardized tests on a computer. As an adult, I still have to do that to recertify my 3 Board exams every 10 years as a doctor, so getting good at taking computerized tests is a valuable skill.

Last edited by jack'smom; 06/24/12 09:05 AM.