DD8 gets a weekly homework packet. You can choose to have your child do it all at once or a little bit per night. The only part that takes any time is writing sentences.
She gets a spelling list of words she already knows how to spell and has to write a sentence for each word.
At the beginning of the year I thought it was really silly. I guessed writing the word in a sentence helped children learn to memorize the word for the test, so I let DD blow it off.
The teacher cornered me on it and explained this was actually a great assignment for DD because is was open ended and there was no limit to how complex her sentences could get.
I have to admit I had not thought about it that way and was glad the teacher talked to me.
Now DD sits with her list, a dictionary and a thesaurus. She really loves challenging herself to come up with really great sentences and takes about 45 minutes to an hour, but she really enjoys it. I've seen her writing skills really improve this year and am happy she has such a creative teacher.

Neato