Originally Posted by Dbat
Moreover, even if a kid does get skipped, it seems that often that is not really enough to satisfy the kid's ability in at least one area (I've seen a number of stories about math being a particular problem).
A little OT, but I have to chime in as the parent of a grade skipped HG+ kid for whom this has been a big issue in language arts in particular. It is virtually impossible to get subject acceleration in English/literacy/LA and dd has probably been ready for college level work in that area for years. I can honestly say that she's had maybe two, or if I'm being kind, three years of her entire schooling experience in which she's been taught anything at all in her LA classes.

My youngest's school does offer up to two years of subject acceleration in math, but not in any other subjects. That's been pretty much what we've found in most school and my kids have tried a few different ones. I can easily imagine that, for a child who is as strong in math as my dd is in LA, that wouldn't be enough either, though.