Hi, Pemberley.

Originally Posted by Pemberley
our advocate has suggested totally redoing the goals to include more specifics.

Good. Make them not only specific, but also observable and measurable, so that one can tell through simple data taking and observation whether they are being followed. If you look at the goal and you can't make a checklist about it, or can't figure out even how you'd begin to measure it, it's not a good goal.

"Seating with positive role model peers" was the appropriate and accepted IEP language for this. I pointed out that DD was usually the "positive role model peer" but was assured that all would understand this as "IEP speak". Needless to say that didn't happen. The SW assigned to work on her anxiety issues scheduled her for social skills training and she continues to be seated with troublemakers during small group "tier time" sections and at lunch.

Was the seating mandated, or suggested? If it was mandated, they were in violation (and I know they've had trouble following the IEP before).

I don't have wording, but I know you need to make it clearer, and enforceable. If you can spell out (in the "present levels" or intro to the IEP) what situations make her anxious, that is a good start. The present levels are really an important place for describing all the current problems and challenges; that gives you leverage to address them through services and accommodations in the IEP goals.

Another example, DD totally shuts down (or if it's really bad melts down) if she is in a room with a teacher who yells, scolds, threatens, punishes or uses a "public shaming device" like a color chart. I was told "Positive Reinforcement" was IEP speak for she should not be around this behavior or teachers who use these types of classroom management techniques. Her main classroom teacher is great but she still had exposure to this sort of thing during tier time in other classrooms and with substitutes, both with predictable results. As I posted on another thread they took drastic punitive actions against DD following an anxiety induced meltdown which is continuing to cause major problems. The district has written a letter acknowledging that they violated her IEP but I want to keep it from happening in the future, not just go after them when they fail to do the right thing. Any hints regarding anxiety goals or techniques you have found to be effective?

Consider writing (with the IEP team) a very specific plan (either as a BIP or as part of the IEP) that mandates how discipline is to be handled. A BIP spells out step by step what teachers should do in various instances, including meltdowns-- it tells them how to prevent the behavior, and how to respond if it occurs. There's no guarantee it will be read by a sub, but having the appropriate response spelled out in detail is your best hope.

Even though the IEP indicates “explore enrichment opportunities” no other enrichment is being provided other than what we do on our own.

"Explore" is vague and unenforceable. I'd suggest that the IEP team needs to nail down, as a team, what enrichment opportunities will be provided, when in the day, and through what approaches.

I am hoping to convince them to focus on assistive technology and keyboarding but may not be able to until we get the new neuropsych reports, probably not until next school year is already underway.

I hope you can get it into place; if you do it now, it can be scheduled effectively.

Her current IEP reads “oral responses and testing when needed” which I would like to change to something allowing ALL responses to be oral or scribed unless they are meant to measure handwriting skills.

"when needed" is meaningless unless it's spelled out with precision in what cases it's needed. I think your suggestion is good; make all testing oral or scribed (even spelling) unless it's handwriting.

HTH,
DeeDee