Tallulah - the maximum score for a subtest with standard norms is 19. The raw score is scaled to 19 or below. So picking numbers out of the air NOT real numbers, you might need a minimum of 23 questions right to get a scaled score of 19 at a certain age. So assuming all the children are the same age, and remembering that my numbers are not at all real...

Child A gets 23 right and gets a 19, this score would not necessarily go up with extended norms. Child B gets 29 right, their scaled score is 19 too, but their score might go up a few points with extended norms. Child C gets 35 right and their scaled score is also 19, but their score would go up more again than child B with extended norms.

I do wonder how rare kids in the tail really are. BUT 1/30000 is still a fair number of people in the world. And I don't know about everyone else but although all of our IRL friends' kids are very bright, and many I am sure are at least MG, the families I know with kids who are out there enough to be tested and who have very high scores - I know their parents because we went seeking each other, mostly online. So I feel like I know a disproportionately high number of them, but I didn't just bump into them at the local shops. Oh and my own HG+ kid is NOT 1/30000, she's 146, theoretically there should be 15 odd children in her grade in our rather small city.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 05/12/12 09:41 PM.