master of none's description is good! I think of it as related to handedness. For most people, reaching with your right (or left) hand is so natural we don't even think about it. But for some kids it doesn't come so easy and either they can't do it or they have to think about it alot. Even before I learned about these things, I was concerned about my DS because I wasn't sure if he was "really" right handed or left handed. He writes right handed, but does all sports activities left handed. People will say, "oh that happens all the time" but first of all, it doesn't, and second of all that doesn't mean it is just a quirk and doesn't have important consequences (balance, visual-motor, etc.) MY DS was also a late crawler, started crawling after he was already pulling up and cruising furniture and really only crawled a month before he started walking. He also had lots of ear infections as an infant and toddler and because of this was a relatively late talker. Supposedly too many ear infections can cause problems in the above areas as well because we don't really think about how important the inner ear is to our balance and coordination, as well as hearing.

I have spent many an hour worrying about how much these issues may be preventing DS from showing his full potential. How much of his concentration and energy is focused on coping with these things? I haven't had him intelligence tested, but I am considering it if it would give some insight into how much of a toll these things might be taking on him. Because he seems to have developed really good coping skills, and it is hard to determine the impact at this point.