Thank you very much for that run down Val! I'll keep a copy of it and make sure I hit all the points as I research.

I have to renew the transfer every year and as far as I have managed to figure out you can't apply for a school in your district and have a district transfer in the works at the same time. It's possible this isn't the case, his teacher and I are trying to figure out the details.

The reason we are considering the move at all is because his current teacher will be retiring before long and a new teacher has a very good chance of changing the fit for him. In addition his peers (the middle schoolers) are moving on to high school and unless things change dramatically he will be the only child actively attending the optional on campus classes which kills the socialization aspect of it. His current teacher is the one who recommended the program although I'm pretty sure she doesn't know exactly what textbooks are currently being used there. (I do know my district uses earth science books close to 20 years old though.)