This is a difficult decision for anyone, but you have it a little easier since you have homeschool as a supported option. Have you investigated the local homeschool community? Is there a GT homeschool group nearby? For me, the idea of homeschooling becomes more appealing because I have heard great hings about the local GT homeschool community. the homeschooling parents here will have more info.

Are ther any other schools within driving distance that you could visit? You might luck out and find a flexible school relatively nearby so you be able to stay put. I would not recommend moving somewhere to an unknown school situation, unless you've got other reasons to move too. It is hard to know if a school will be a good fit until your kid is there, unfortunately.

As for the grade skip, I can say that my DS's skip into 2nd in our local school was much better than before the skip. The material wasn't challenging enough, but it was much closer to his level than before the skip. Also, he made friends with some of the GT kids in that grade, and he was grouped with them, making things better. He was still alone for some things, but it was better. We ended up tranfering him to an accelerated program though, and that has been a great fit for him. The downside is that it's a long commute. If we had remained in the local school, we probably would have had to do another skip at some point, and we didn't want to do that yet, especially if there was a better fit with kids closer to DS's age relatively nearby.

Good luck. There is a lot to consider, but If you find bricks and mortar schools won't fit, homeschooling is a great option.