I am not an expert but I wanted to share my DDs story with you. My DD12 had very, very similar scores when she was tested with the WISC-IV when she was 6.5. Her teacher had suspected dyslexia but the educational psychologist did not diagnose it, based on her IQ and achievement test at that time.

Like your son, my daughter could not sound out words and really just refused to read. She would also omit words like "a" and "the". She changed schools and her teachers all thought everything was fine. She read at grade level but it was such a struggle for her. I knew something was going on but her teachers all said she was "too smart" to have dyslexia. She was diagnosed with dyslexia and dysgraphia by the Eides (in Washington state) last November. I would recommend their books and website for more information.

Often teachers and psychologist are just not good at understanding how dyslexia presents in gifted children. Google "stealth dyslexia". My daughter has accommodations at school for extra time on tests and she listens to audio books after she reads the print version. She will work with an Orton Gillingham reading tutor and a writing tutor this summer.

One thing I wish I had done differently when she was younger was to focus on her strengths as well as her challenges. She learns math very quickly and is now subject accelerated 2 years in math and is very happy.

Her VCI and PRI WISC scores at age 11 were quite a bit higher than when she was 6, but her working memory and processing speed were lower. She still had a large gap between her VCI and PRI.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.