Originally Posted by geofizz
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
I have a current kinder son. There are 20 kids in the classroom, 6 girls and 14 boys. There are 2 kids reading way beyond (guided reading level m) 2 kids reading beyond (guided reading level j) and the rest at at or below kinder standards. In math there is one child way beyond (3-4th grade level math- completing Singapore 3A) one above grade level (1st maybe 2nd grade level) and the rest at grade level.

hope this kind of answers your question

My son's class is probably similar, but I don't know, because the class is kept on the same math curriculum, and they top out at DRA 16 for instruction. There were 3 kids in the 16+ group for the 3rd quarter of the school year. I suspect at least two were comfortably above that, but it's hard to distinguish 20 vs 30 reading level when the child is reading you at level 16 book...

If you asked other parents of kids in the room, they wouldn't tell you there was one kid operating at a 3-6 grade level in math, because I keep that to myself. There's one mom that doesn't keep her afterschooling to herself, so I know that child can multiply and divide. I have no idea at what level the girl understands what she can do. I'm not questioning the mom's reporting. I simply don't know.

I also suspect that the school doesn't know. They don't test reading or math conceptual understanding beyond one grade level above the current. They don't test math computation beyond the present grade level. (they know on DS because they've done individual testing, but this is a 1 kind every few years case.)

I only know the levels because my kid is the high math kid. They are now doing guided math as well. At the beginning if the year, his teachr was asked if there was anyone he can be grouped with and she laughed at him. No one is anywhere close. The girl that is in his group, is the sister of a boy in my dd8's second grade class. I am friends with the mom smile . If we take ds math and her dd reading, we have a fourth grader. If we take ds reading and her math, we have a second grader smile That is our joke lol