This is totally trivial, but I am going to mention it here so I can say it and get it out and then move on lol!

Our ds' school held it's annual science fair yesterday, and they had outside folks come in to judge (I am so danged busy with life I have no idea who the judges were or how they were picked or what their qualifications were or anything).

Anyway, ds' did really well in terms of the judges' overall impressions, but he had this one comment on his rating form that really annoyed the heck out of me - this isn't a direct quote (since I don't have the paperwork in front of me at the moment) but it went something like this:

"Math used was above grade level. But (ds) could answer all of my questions."

It wasn't phrased in a "Way Cool! The math is advanced!" sort of way, more of a "This child is breaking the rules and using math above his grade level" sort of way. Well, duh, he's in math classes above his grade level.... which of course this judge who doesn't know him doesn't know... but is it beyond reason to think that hey, maybe some kids get math?

OK, I've ranted and I'm moving on!

polarbear

ps - he didn't have it on his poster, but he had his first opportunity to learn what a derivative is when he was working through some of the theory for his project (he's in 6th grade). Had I known he'd have a cranky judge who most likely isn't a math-brain, I'd have suggested he add a few derivatives to his poster! Yikes, I'm cranky today lol!

Last edited by polarbear; 03/24/12 11:40 AM.