My son is in an HGT magnet program in a public school and I've always thought it meets his needs, but now I'm wondering. He's never had an IQ test, and has only taken the Ravens & Cogat once, to get into the program as a kindergartener (it starts in 1st grade). He scored 99's on those. We haven't worried too much about his schooling because he's seemed fine until this year. Now, he's a bit frustrated and unhappy and we don't know if it's the curriculum, the class or something else (and he doesn't know).

We had him take the Explore test recently so that he could qualify for the Center for Bright Kids summer camp. I think it's part of the Western area talent search. He easily qualified for the camp and I realized, he has qualifying scores for DYS on the Explore.

Is there a reason to get an IQ test and apply to DYS? His HGT teachers seem to think he's pretty exceptional even among HGT kids, so I think there's a good chance he might qualify. But is there a reason to do it? I think our district has a fairly decent program for HGT kids. But maybe my son's unhappiness in school this year means it's not as great as I think it is. I don't know. In reading, he was recently assessed at 12.9th grade (post high school). I haven't seen a math assessment since the end of 3rd grade, but on that test he was at 7.2 grade level (but he's completing 5th grade math in school), and on the Explore test he was in the 89th pct for Math and 85th in science (that's for 8th graders, and he's in 4th).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by syoblrig; 04/06/12 02:20 PM.