Also ColinsMum, in the US we play a game with the babies called
"This little piggy"
is it familiar to you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Little_Piggy

anyway, this is a good example I think of your speculation - the first 4 lines build up the expectation that there will be a little raise in tension (Markeeeeeeet, on a rising note) followed by the next line releasing the tension (we always said HOME in a low, definite tone of voice)

Once one gets to the 5th pig there is a feeling of surprise because the 'rule' gets broken, and since the child has played before, there is also the anticipation of the suprise, which adds to the excitement even more.

My DH was always a great ham about the 5th pig, (and this little piggy....this little piggy.....this little piggy......tHIS little pigggy.....THIS little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home)

And DS clearly showed lots of anticipation which egged on DH to wilder and wilder performances.

So kids who are less sensitive to this sort of anticipation wouldn't egg their parents on to keep up the performance, and then they grow up not bothering to but much effort into such a silly activity with their kids....and so on.

I'm also remembering the TV show 'Blues Clues' which was popular in the US while my son was little, which explicitly encouraged kids to look for clues to figure out what that little dog was 'trying to say.' I very much enjoyed that show, finding it touching that 'Steve' would try so very hard to figure out what a semiverbal person was saying (like me with my DS at that point)

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com