I really love the book "6+1 writing traits. That's helped DS considerably.

I like 'Not Just Schoolwork' by Amy Burke and Nathan Levy, and loved it as a child, although DS hates it.

I like the following books - The Giver, City of Ember, A wrinkle in time, Percy Jackon Series, Gregor the Underlander series, and think they might be good launching pads. All are boy-friendly, in case DS is playing Summer Mom School, too.

If you don't end up homeschooling all the way, a family custom to aim for might be to establish that all children will do 10 minutes of homework/grade, and that if the school doesn't provide this 'homework' then Mom will assign it. I think that expecting kids to work at their readiness level afterschool is a wonderful family tradition to establish for almost every kid, particulaly in this NCLB age.

Seems to me that finding a way for your daughter to share her product, reading it to family or little kids, or a website, or submitting it to a local newspaper or a contest (have you heard of that write a novel in November thing? Scholastic has contests too) is going to be a key part of the program.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com