DD writes beautifully but when I say, "write", I actually mean type. The words that come out of this 8-year-old amaze me. They are profound and thought provoking and years beyond her tiny little frame.

HOWEVER, ANYTHING asked to be hand written brings out the worst in her. She is unhappy with her handwriting. She hates how long it takes her to write and I've been starting to wonder if it is more than just perfectionism.

Math is funny, she'll be fine writing a problem on our windows with window crayons but give her a piece of paper to do the same problem and she clams up. I did just read in a thread that gel pens are good for some kids, so it may be the ease of which the writing happens on our windows (?)

When she does write, there is very little spacing between words. Limiting her to paper seems so restrictive but I wonder if I'm doing her a disservice by not forcing the issue. I DO have her write some things but it is to the point where it is only for items I may use for her homeschooling portfolio. Oh, and she CAN sign her name. I know she needs to be able to do that.

Any thoughts?

~ Christine smile
Homeschooling DD in PA