Originally Posted by Kai
To put some perspective on this, if I've looked at the RIT score tables correctly, he went from the 91st to the 94th/95th percentile in reading and from the 95th to the 98th/99th percentile in math. He was doing very well before and now he's doing better, but not amazingly so.

Looking at the actual scores, he went from barely 99th percentile in math at the beginning of the year to higher than the last number they list for his grade. But his math scores have always been 99th, so that is not a huge change. He started last year at or below grade level in reading and is now in the 96th percentile, which *is* a big change.

Originally Posted by Kai
How many times has he taken the MAP? If September was the first time, it could just be due to the practice effect.

He has been taking it since 1st grade. And it is out of grade level, so other than being familiar with the test protocols, that should not matter, right? They introduce new material as long as the child is getting answers correct, so the actual test questions change each time.

Originally Posted by Kai
Keep in mind that grade equivalent scores can be misleading. The MAP is not a placement test. His 7th grade equivalent scores simply mean that his scores were the same as those of a 7th grader at the 50th percentile. Average 7th graders have *not* mastered 7th grade material; they have mastered something closer to 4th or 5th grade material (I'm not exaggerating here).

That is sad.....

What I am seeing is his achievement scores becoming more in line with his previous aptitude tests. So I am wondering if another IQ test would tell me if his processing issues were much improved or if we simply have a great teacher and a good school fit at this particular moment in time. He is clearly a very bright kid, but because of his processing issues, I assumed he would not be able to do the more academic/high output-type programs that his typically gifted sister enjoys. And honestly, at this point in time, I am ok with that. But I don't want to sell him short either. If he can do more and thrive, I want to give him that opportunity.

Last edited by NCmom2; 02/15/12 08:29 PM. Reason: added stuff