chuckandchel,

How old is Cat? And has she been evaluated with WISC, etc?

I agree with her doing home schooling for a year (5th and 6th grade) since she is enthusaistic and advocating you for it.

A lot depends on the public middle school she is going to go. If they have advance classes, pre AP, etc..., even she finished 5th and 6th grade, I would just enroll her in 6th grade (but do 7th or above grade work).

If she keeps doing it, she may be able to do dual credit or AP courses in high school and get up to 2 years of college credit during High school. And her SAT score will be higher than she might have if she takes a year earlier.

If she took the test and she is identified as HG (Highly Gifted), all bets are off. IMHO, grade skipping is necessary (most of the time) in early elementary because most public schools do not offer differentiation. But middle and high school usually offer some sort of differentiation. Visit those schools and find out.

This comes from a guy who is moving 60 miles down south (which means commuting 70 minutes each way for me) for a better school district :-)