Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
So sure, do 40 minutes of Algebra II problems. Not the same four problems ten times each.

This is the stage where a scanner/copier becomes your friend. wink

LOL. Well, of course I don't mean that it is literally the same four problems. Just metaphorically; that it's the same basic concept/application done to death with a more-is-better, we'll-bash-this-concept-into-submission-by-brute-force approach...

I mean, if my daughter can demonstrate mastery with four multi-step problems that incorporate all of the four concepts in the lesson, then why, oh WHY does she really need to do ten of each single-step type?

That's just drill-and-kill and it serves no purpose other than to teach my child to loathe and dread the subject itself.

I really like the description of the two-fold nature of outside of class activities. That sums it up beautifully, and I think it highlights immediately why "radical acceleration" and a lot of not-truly-differentiated GT programs fail HG+ kids in all their asynchronous glory. Teaching "responsibility" to a fourteen year old looks dramatically different (from a developmental stance) than doing so with a seven year old. WAY different executive skills readiness at work there, just for starters. That 14yo is capable of seeing "yes, I just need to get this done and then I can do what I want" whereas the 7yo may simply not be capable of "forcing themselves" to do the work if it is obviously redundant and unnecessary.

We've seen this play out time and time again with DD. It's ultimately a fit issue that dictates changes in placement as much as purely cognitive needs do.

There will be many changes when I am made ruler of the known universe. Alas, this does not seem to be imminent. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.