I have written before about my gifted, out-of-the box 9 year old. He has been described as deeply dyslexic with a severe auditory processing disorder and severe inattention. Public school was very damaging, so I enrolled him in a private school for dyslexic children. I had such hope that he would be happy and do well; it is not working out as hoped and I am very disappointed.

Daily Academic Language Therapy has helped immensely. DS reads very well with accuracy and high fluency. His handwriting is vastly improved, and his cursive is decent.

The problem: the school has started complaining about his inattentiveness but offers no suggestions about what to do. DS drifts off in class, leaves work half-finished and needs multiple proddings and reminders. He moves in his seat excessively and complains that it hurts. DS says that the work is too easy. Many of the children struggle to read, and I suspect that the pace of the instruction is very slow, but there are at most 8 children in a class. If he can't function in such small classes, what can I do? I have an appointment to revisit medication for ADHD and am on-board to try medications and dearly hope it helps.

At home, I have a mostly clam and pleasant child who loves computer games, LEGOs, and having friends over. He is very social and good-natured, has a cutting wit and admires his older brother. I have read books about ADHD and while the chapter about inattention and distractability applies, little else in the book seems pertinent. He has never had tantrums, is not reckless and is not defiant.

Does DS sound familiar to any of you? It is hard for me to reconcile his classroom dysfunction with the child I can take to lectures about science to which he attends well and easily comprehends. One of his teachers asked if he could even sit and play video games! Yes! He can sit still at home and read for 2 hours. I really appreciate your advice.