I hope some of you maybe able to help me out. I have a son in second grade that has been nominated by his teacher for GT testing next month. Iam not sure to test him or not. In kindergarten he was given the NNAT and did not do very well on it at all ,in fact very poorly. I know if the school repeats this test he will not do well.He wants to be in the GT program though.Most of my sons friends are in GT classes and are 2 years older.He has always played with older kids

Do I think my son is gifted yes, but I think he also has some definite weaknesses. My son was born at 30 weeks,and was a very low birthweight infant. He had extreme farsightedness issues his first 2 years .Despite being born almost 3 months early he walked at 10 months and has always had an extensive vocabulary and an insatiable curiosity.This is a kid who comes home from school and gets on the internet and does research on topics discussed on class because he wants more information.He compiles his research in binders. He takes pictures of animal tracks and tree fungus while walking in the woods so he can later get on the internet and identify them and study them. I was never in GT but I dont know many kids who do this.

On the weakness side he has always had extreme issues with writing and with dimensional things.Out of curiosity I bought an NNAT sample type book and he was not able to do a lot of the questions. Where a piece of a patterned square was removed and he had several to choose from for an answer it was like he just couldnt see it. He excels in math beyond grade level except for items that require dimension.I dont know how else to explain it and I dont know what to do to help him.

The NNAT is what they use as an entrance to the GT program. I hate for him not to get the additional challenges of GT because he thrives on challenge. I just know visual analogies seem to totally stump him.

I know he has some kind of processing issue but dont know what. As a toddler he had extreme issues with clothes tags,sock seams, hats etc but has grown out of that.If anyone has had similar experiences and can give me any advice or direction I would appreciate it.