Our dysgraphic ds12 has used a regular Mac laptop for his schoolwork since 4th grade, but is enrolled in a school which requires all students to use an iPad for 7th - 8th grade. Hes in 6th this year. We researched iPad vs laptop solutions last summer looking ahead one year, and at that point in time I would have said the voice recognition wasnt up to speed with the laptop plus word substitution software and math software that he needed werent available. I've been to a presentation by a local tech support group that works with people with disabilities later in the fall which was specifically focused on iPads and left with the impression that things were evolving quickly and perhaps my ds would be able to more fully more to an iPad in school next year.

I don't have any answers at the moment, but we'll be looking at ds specifics with the tech group later this spring - I'm purposely waiting to take that next look until closer to the time ds enters 7th grade because the technology does seem to be rapidly evolving. My guess at this point is the iPad is going to have most of what he needs except math support software.

polarbear