I live in Las Vegas and have a twice exceptional son, age 15, who has been diagnosed with extremely high functioning Aspergers Syndrome but has also been tested and found to be PROFOUNDLY gifted with practically all 19 stanine scores in every area of but coding (a big duh) with a LOW score of 14! Overall Stanford Binet IQ score was 152 (159 by the revised scale) but yet he is failing in his classes because it is difficult for him to "buy into" the system. His teachers all know he knows the material and really pay almost no attention to his IEP. What is most frustrating is that we actually DO have a department in the Clark County School District devoted strictly to the Highly Gifted and the person heading that department is the absolute best, with a terrific knowledge of my son.

Unfortunately, I have been told by her that she is not ALLOWED by LAW to have any involvement in his IEP process, can't sign the IEP, can't even ATTEND!!! because it would NULLIFY his IEP if any concurrent inference to my son's giftedness was even made! Excuse me, but is that even legal? I have been searching the regs for this ruling but I can't even find them? Can someone please guide me? I see my son falling through the cracks semester after semester and it's just such a shame.

Debra