Originally Posted by Ametrine
being older when conception occurs is more likely to produce a gifted child.
This is a great example of Correlation does not imply causation

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
"Correlation does not imply causation" (related to "ignoring a common cause" and questionable cause) is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not automatically imply that one causes the other (though correlation is necessary for linear causation in the absence of any third and countervailing causative variable, and can indicate possible causes or areas for further investigation; in other words, correlation can be a hint).[1][2]

The opposite belief, correlation proves causation, is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship. The fallacy is also known as cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "with this, therefore because of this") and false cause. By contrast, the fallacy post hoc ergo propter hoc requires that one event occur before the other and so may be considered a type of cum hoc fallacy.

In a widely-studied example, numerous epidemiological studies showed that women who were taking combined hormone replacement therapy (HRT) also had a lower-than-average incidence of coronary heart disease (CHD), leading doctors to propose that HRT was protective against CHD. But randomized controlled trials showed that HRT caused a small but statistically significant increase in risk of CHD. Re-analysis of the data from the epidemiological studies showed that women undertaking HRT were more likely to be from higher socio-economic groups (ABC1), with better than average diet and exercise regimens. The use of HRT and decreased incidence of coronary heart disease were coincident effects of a common cause (i.e. the benefits associated with a higher socioeconomic status), rather than cause and effect as had been supposed.[3]

anyway it's quite possible that there are third factors involved -
for example, the movie 'Idiocracy' shows a split screen of two families making reproductive decisions - the 'highly intelligent' family displaying all the perfectionism and worry that we see everyday on this board, but in a humorous light. An attempt was made to exaggerate, but I saw a lot of myself.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRjmyJFzrU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

Not my favorite movie ever, but 'interesting' - I particularly liked how every time that 'normal' character spoke, all the 'future' people made fun of him for his affected speech. A good reminder of how irritating that can be for our kids (speaking of kids, this movie isn't for most of them!)

I remember a popular tee shirt when I was in college of a comic book close up of a female with a thought bubble, 'Opps, I forgot to have children.' I think gifted females are more comfortable to challenge gender roles, at least long enough to delay childbearing. I found spending time with my son more interesting than my work life, but I noticed that my local neighbor-moms found the early years of mothering tedious, or complained of that anyway.

I would guess that older, more experienced parents would be more likely to go through the identification process (which is different from actually having more gifted children) if they have used their advanced age to get more earning power and time off power to go through the identification process. I'd love to see ages of gifted parents in states that don't do gifted testing in the school vs. states that test everyone.

I also suspect that only children gifted children are more likely to get identified, not because they are smarter, but becuase they probably act out more for a few reasons.
1) they don't have the relief of a whole passle of sibs to be their home gifted cluster
2) they don't have the 'home socialization training' of sibs
3) It's easier for a parent to give 'full attention' to an only, but it isn't easier for a teacher at school to follow suit, so it's more of a contrast.

Older parents are more likely to grind to a halt after only one child, physically and emotionally. I was 35,DH 42. One kid was enough to wear us out.

As a 'likely 2E' older mom, I think it took me longer to feel 'grown up enough' to make important life decisions - such as choosing a DH and becoming a parent. Could be my perfectionism for sure. Plus the world was always throwing me curve balls because I didn't know myself as a gifted person, and kept measuring myself against the standards of the people around me and making mistakes that I mercilessly took myself to task over.

Not my most coherant post, but an interesting topic.
Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com