Originally Posted by mnmom23
We've told her teacher repeatedly that she already knew all this math last year, and provided MAP results to attest to the specifics, but we keep being told that she'll learn new things in November or December or January or . . . and that the class has "lots of kids like her." Since DD tested at the 99.9%ile, that just probably isn't true in a school with only 40 kids in her grade.

I'm guessing that most teachers will not have any experience in interpreting what 99.9 means in contrast to 99 percentile, and that there are nuances to interpreting the 99.9 (e.g., did the child hit the ceiling, etc.) The kids at that level are rare.

Originally Posted by mnmom23
The main thing we plan to emphasize, though, is the interpretation of the results and what they mean for her learning experience day-to-day, rather than the number itself, per se.

I think this is important. Sharing the psychologist's interpretation of the results, where there was talk of radical acceleration and DS not fitting in the normal school setting without major differentiation, was what really swayed the school staff in our situation. Once a child hits a particular school's cutoff for GT, the numbers themselves are pretty meaningless to most people, I would guess. If you can afford it, getting a written report with IQ testing is quite useful (to parents too).