I recently posted about this on a local forum (so apologies to anyone who has seen this already).

Our family has a few reasons for sticking with school, at least for now. I certainly don't think they're reasons that apply to every family, but they apply to ours.

We have thought through the whole home schooling thing at some length. The issues for us aren't the usual ones of finances, social concerns or worry about curriculum - we have thought all that through and have decided we could cope. Rather we have some ideological objections related to our specific circumstances. We have already made massive compromises to ensure dd's needs are met as best we can in a school setting, my husband and I have some substantial and already long postponed (as a result of making accommodations for dd) personal goals of our own (that we�ll continue chancing, but at a reduced pace in order to continue to make accommodations). Ultimately we're of the belief that as a family there needs to be a balance of everyone's needs being met and home schooling, in our case, would not result in that happening. We believe that what dd needs to make school ok are relatively simple (even if it's a hard slog to get it) and we can provide enrichment out of school. I absolutely believe that it is my daughter's right to an adequate education in the school system and I'll advocate for that as much as I can. Perhaps most importantly from my perspective because I have a daughter I feel it's really important that I not set an example of giving up my own educational and career goals (which might sound selfish, but in reality have already been striped back to working .5 standard hours and completing a lesser postgraduate qualification for now to ensure I'm 'around' - my husband being the one with the liveable income). I feel like school gives dd experiences in the world where she has to be independent, where she has to find her own way. Finally my daughter and I are probably already more enmeshed than is strictly healthy - goodness knows what would happen if we were with each other 24/7!

I absolutely support the right of other people to home school and I don't for a minute mean to imply that other parents are giving up things they shouldn't be or are setting bad examples for their children - only that I know I would be. There are also some kids for whom I have no doubt home schooling is the only option. I don't think dd is one of them. She functions well socially at school, she loves organised activities when they are targeted at her level and while introverted she loves being part of a bigger picture. She is bored at the moment but not distraught. I think with subject acceleration for now and a further grade skip and subject acceleration down the track, and with enrichment outside of school she'd be fine. I know, I know - I say that as if that's easy to achieve...