I have a sensory seeking dd who, at 5, (and still sometimes today) has difficulty sitting still and staying on task, being distractible etc. A few easy things to try that might help - that worked for our dd:

1) Have her sit on a sensory cushion - I don't know the technical name, but they look like flat slight-inflated balls. Our OT has a bunch of them at our school, and we purchased one online for our dd (several years ago). I saw a mom buying one at our local toy store a few weeks ago, so I think they must be much easier to find now. DD is almost 10 and still sits on her cushion when she's feeling fidgety (we don't ask her to anymore, she likes to use it).

2) If it's a girl, have her wear a leotard under her clothes - our OT suggested this and it helped with fidgets and posture, even though it's not all that "rigid", something about the contact with her skin made her aware of her body positioning.

3) Swing. We used to send our dd out in the backyard to swing for 20 minutes whenever she was not able to sit still and it really helped.

4) Push heavy things - like a wheelbarrow loaded with something heavy. Our dd used to love to put the other kids at preschool in the school's cart and push them around the playground. The teachers all thought it was crazy and cool, her OT thought it made a lot of sense, she craved the heaviness of it for sensory reasons.

Another thing to think about - vision check. Our dd had severe double vision and we had no clue! Once she'd been through vision therapy we saw a marked lessening in the fidgety behaviors and in her getting up and just wandering around. When she was younger she also went through listening therapy, which helped her focus on staying in her seat and working on school-type work.

DD is, however, even at 10, still a high energy child who is easily distracted by other children in the classroom and who has to work at sitting still. She's been evaluated for ADHD and is *not* ADHD - she's just a fidgety kid by nature.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - I think we often, as parents of gifted kids, make the assumption that when our kids have difficulty staying on task with work that we think they are very capable of doing that it's "boredom" - and many times that's true. OTOH, there were times in early elementary that we thought that for both my EG older ds and my dd mentioned above who is MG - and in hindsight we realized they weren't bored, they were struggling in some way with the work (EG was later diagnosed with severe DCD and dysgraphia, dd had vision challenges that impacted her reading and now also appears to have some type of math visualization challenge).