Originally Posted by SiaSL
If you asked your son what his favorites/least favorites/weirdest reads have been it might be possible to tailor more recommendations (I skimmed some of the contents of my shelves with an eye to giving some to my son, and realized that what I thought of as "young" had some rather mature themes for a 7yo).

Oh, and does he like fantasy?

SiaSL, I love your idea about asking him about his "wierdest" reads - I've asked about his favorite/least favorite before, but never thought to ask about wierd, which I think would be a question he could really get into!

My ds is camping with Boy Scouts this weekend so I can't ask him today, but fwiw he loved Ender's Game (he also read it in something like 1/2 a day - which is another challenge with books - finding a book that takes more than 1/2 a day to read - he really loves reading when it's a book he's interested in, so he devours it and then gets depressed because he finishes it and there's nothing left in the house to read - picture me banging my head against the wall frequently lol!).

He read War of the Worlds but didn't like it - when we talked about it, my impression was he just didn't like Wells' writing style.

He's not particularly into fantasy.

polarbear