Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Here's hoping lots of people who don't know it all already read it... I like this quote:
For example, you may have a 7 year old who enjoys pointing out the discrepancies between Galileo and Aristotle and questioning her mother's good friend's definition of death, using a principle of string theory she viewed to her delight several times on PBS or who has noticed a commonality between a Virginia Woolf short story and a science experiment in photosynthesis. Or who has talked about protagonists and antagonists in stories with comprehension for several years and wondered what "agonist" might have to do with each word-to the point that the parent "must" look it up.
Yup, got one of them :-)

Wow, this quote really resonated with me, too. I think I have the three-year-old version. She finds commonalities between everything. I think her most used phrases are "that's just like..." and "this reminds me of..." ( She does not know Virginia Woolf, but can explain photosynthesis and cellular respiration-- what is needed, who does what, products and byproducts...) She loves language. She is constantly asking me what the opposites of words are, or pointing out irregular past tense forms and plurals, using these words, things I never explicitly taught her. Also, when she was not quite 2.5 she asked me how "dehydrate" related to "carbohydrate" just out of the blue and then wanted to know what "carbo" meant.

At the moment she is only motivated by imaginary stickers that she keeps track of on her shirt.