Originally Posted by Quantum2003
The other issue is that I am not sure that DS8 is that great in math as his strength is really verbal. He can manipulate multi-step algebraic equations to sovle for a variable, but is absolutely not visual-spatial.

I wouldn't assume he's not "great at math" just yet - much of what is challenging and fun about math comes once you get to Algebra and beyond. And you also don't have to be visual-spatial to be great at math - I don't have one visual-spatial brain cell in my head, but I love math and have a degree in it smile

We're another family that used Aleks successfully to subject accelerate at home during elementary. One of the things I *really* like about Aleks is that you can create your own assessments and that everything can be easily tied back to state standards for reports - that made it easy for us to document our ds' achievements in a way that when he had an opportunity to accelerate in middle school there was no question he had mastered the work he'd done at home.

The flip side to the math is, he's already accelerated at school. He says the math is easy, but is he complaining about it being easy? If he's happy with the math he's doing at school I'd be tempted to leave that as is, and focus on giving him opportunities to learn about things he's interested in at home that he's not exposed to at school. My ds is watching a bunch of online college level chemistry course videos right now because this month he's really interested in chemistry. I couldn't find any way to have him take chemistry yet for credit online, but maybe he'll be able to use what he's learned to test out of first year chemistry in high school - or maybe not. Whichever happens, he's having fun with the videos at the moment, and that's enough for us for right now.

polarbear